Monday, February 13, 2006

Old self...

I think that maybe, just maybe, I might be getting back to normal. I don't want to speak too soon but things seem to be coming together... at last!

Work wise I seem to be motivated again, I've spent 2 weeks working flat out on my first live project, a lighting system commisioned by an Italian company, which will be launched at the Frankfurt Design Show next month, (sounds like a good excuse for a holiday to me!). At first my mental stamina couldn't keep up with my enthusiasm and determination, but it's getting there now.

When that thing happened to me last year it wrote off the rest of the year for me, not only was I injured and traumatised but I had been robbed. It sounds so selfish to talk about my own small loss, but the events of last year did prevent me from getting a job. I had to move home, move in with my parents again, and go on the dole. My bubble had certainly been burst! It's hard enough to get good work as a new graduate in anything design based as it is, nevermind dealing with all that comes with what happened.

While I sat at home feeling sorry for myself, my coursemates got the jobs I wanted, in Berlin, Hong Kong and London, and kept telling me how great they were doing via email, I was incredibly jealous to be honest!

In other ways it has helped me, my once very close, almost claustrophobic group of friends has grown massively and I finally have friends whose conversations span much wider than last nights episode of Family Guy or South Park!

I'm embarassed to admit the next bit...

On Saturday I'm doing a first, I'm meeting someone of the internet. I know what you're thinking... but I'm not a geek, ok! Although it isn't a "date" as such, which would be just plain weird, I am really looking forward to it. Course it may be a complete disaster, but we're going watching a band called The Concretes, in Liverpool. A 9 person Swedish pop/folk/jazz band, so it should be fun if nothing else.

I'll let you know how it goes, and if the band is any good...

Just refreshing to talk about something else for a change.

6 Comments:

Blogger Holly Finch said...

great news steve....& good luck on your 'e'date...nothing to be embarrased about at all.....i have had my fair share of them (good & bad!)....can't wait to hear how it goes!
h

7:51 AM  
Blogger Fiona said...

I don't think it's sad. My sister in law met her partner over the internet and my housemate is just starting a new relationship with a very cool lass, with thanks to the internet. No longer is the internet sad, it is the cool of the dating world

2:26 PM  
Blogger steve said...

We shall see, "Lucy" may turn out to be a 19stone roofer from Wrexham. Time will tell.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Holly Finch said...

i did have a friend who had an internet date...the poor girl was so huge that she'd posted a picture of her sister instead to try & get a date. my friend got a bit of a shock, but felt so sorry for her he bought her dinner all the same!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I've heard good things from people who have been on internet dates - and a few bad things - I wish you all the best with it!


Someone I know very well met her husband through a opersonals ad and they have been married happily for many years! Internet dating is not so different!...in fact it is pretty much the latest cool thing if you read magazines these days!

4:48 AM  
Blogger steve said...

woah! woah! woah!

I said I met her on the internet, not that I've been submitting a detailed profile to an official online dating agency.

It was a perfectly innocent crossing of paths, we kept chatting and we seem to get on, we've been chatting on msn for 3 months and decided we're probably not both nutters as we know each other quite well by now.

I'll keep you posted. I also have other news of a potential job in London.
Talk about facing your fears head on, I was nearly murdered in London, so I'm considering upping sticks and living there! Now that would be closure!

Steve

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>