Monday, July 10, 2006

07/07/06

Only a few days after the 7th last year I knew I would feel the need to be back in London to mark the anniversary, I just wasn’t sure how. However on the evening of the 6th I felt I should make my way to Kings Cross the following morning. So 3 of us who left our hostel the same morning a year ago made our way to Kings Cross, however this time we went from Angel as opposed to Barbican to avoid making an exact repeat journey. We decided to use the tube, perhaps it was a show of resolve, but it was probably most likely out of laziness. We had already commented how the Underground was bound to have undercover officers all over the network, I actually felt quite safe and I was impressed and pleased that everyone seemed to be commuting as normal.

There was a large police presence underneath Kings Cross, and I made my way up to the station the same route we were evacuated. We met other fellow passengers who also felt they should be here on this day and at 8.50 we said a few words to remember those who never completed their journey and had a quiet moment of reflection. After spending a short time at St Pancras church where some of the other passengers laid flowers we broke away and continued with our day.

We then spent the day on Oxford , Regent and Carnaby Street, only stopping to mark the 2 mins silence by standing at Oxford Circus. My phone was going off all day as I received texts from friends wishing me well, bad things bring out kindness in people.

In the evening we met up with others in Islington and headed over to Soho. Obviously I knew the way, so I led us to Piccadilly Circus via Kings Cross. We had to run for the Piccadilly Line connection which meant I had no choice of carriage/ position/ not standing next to a someone with a stupidly massive rucksack, and we ended up in the middle of the first carriage. Once on the train I pointed at the floor and gestured that it was here where it happened and I pointed out the eastbound tunnel junction out the window on the right hand side (you see the wall disappear), the exact point where it happened.

I was ok until 11.30pm when I completely broke down in a bar in Soho, the day had finally caught up with me. All the pretending that it was “just another day” and trying to distract myself was futile. I have been the same all weekend, before, I was able to speak about it without feeling anything, now every time I do so I want to cry. It is the sheer violence and senseless waste of life which is hitting me.

I came home to find many kind messages left for me on here. Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. Once again, this has shown me that bad things bring out kindness in people.

4 Comments:

Blogger Holly Finch said...

we are all there with you steve...it's the sensless loss of human life which i think i so overwhelming.

take care of yourself & glad you eventually had a good cry...if you can't let it out on the anniversary when can you?....this too will pass (i bloody hope so anyway!)
hx

9:35 AM  
Blogger Bumble Bee said...

Hi Steve,
It was good to see you there on Friday. It was a tough day for us all but we do need to let go and have a cry, for us and for those not so fortunate.
As Holly said this will pass and until then we are all here to support eachother.
The texts I got throughout Friday is what kept me going.
Hope you got some good purchases on Oxford Street.
BBxx

2:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Steve,

Just wishing you all the best and hope you are feeling better.

Mitch

6:32 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Steve,

Hope you are enjoying a peaceful weekend

R

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>